Friday, March 20, 2009

Are You Sure It's Not Friday the 13th?

Bad day.

Okay, so it could have been worse, but let's just say today was not one of my favorites. Friday is story time day at the library, so I decided to take Macy over there, as usual. We go to story time, check out a few books and head back to our car to drive home. We get to the car, and I can't find my keys in my monstrous purse/diaper bag. I figure they're just somewhere in the bottom of the bag, so I dump the entire contents out in the middle of the parking lot...still no keys. I go back into the library and retrace my steps to see if they fell out somewhere along the way. No keys. I go back to my car and peek in the window and surprise! I see my keys sitting neatly in Macy's car seat. (How they ended up there, I'm still not exactly sure.)

Frustrated, I reach in my bag to grab my cell phone, figuring I'll just call one of my neighbors and see if they'll come rescue Macy and me. No cell phone. (And later, as I'm thinking about it, it probably wouldn't have done me any good to call a neighbor because it's not like any of them would have an extra car seat for Macy even if they were to give us a ride.) So, I go inside and use the library's pay phone to try and call Brett at work. Unfortunately, (but not surprisingly, considering how my day is going at this point) he's in a meeting in another building, and doesn't have his cell with him.

So, rather than being stranded at the library for who knows how long, I decide that the best (only?) option is to walk home. Normally, walking three miles wouldn't be a big deal. However, walking three miles carrying a 23 pound 14 month old is a big deal. And, just it case you're wondering, it sucked. To Macy's credit, she was a gem. No crying or fussing to get down, not even when she peed out of her diaper and onto me. (Oh yes, that really happened.)

Moral of this story? Make a spare key...or be smarter than me and don't lock your keys in your car to begin with.

9 comments:

Tim and Amber said...

oh my goodness!! That is a bad day! Hopefully you have a better one tomorrow...but kudos to you for carrying Macy 3 miles! Just think of it as your excercise for the week :)

alisekelley said...

Oh Amanda my heart goes out to you! I can't believe you carried Macy that far! I am so glad she was a good girl!

Tonya said...

dang! At least you made it into a funny story. I've locked my keys in my car more times than I can count. SEriously, it's like the stupidest thing but can completely ruin your week!!

Heidi and Michael said...

Yeah that sucks!! I have a good one for ya. I locked my keys in my truck 3 times in one week... once while my truck was running! And even better, I was parked right in front of all the mailboxes. It was when we lived in our apartment. I called Michael, got a hold of him and he was coming, then sat on the tailgate and bawled. My grandma's funeral was the day before, so I was already emotional enough. Lets party tonight!! Can't wait to see you guys!

The Christensens said...

Ohhh so sorry, but you are awesome for walking home. I probably would have sat down right in the middle of the parking lot and cried! 3 miles- you are one tough cookie!!!

Peterson Family said...

Oh I'm so sorry! That stinks! I think I loose part of my brain with every child I have so I know exactly how you feel when you have no idea how the keys got in Macy's car seat! I feel for you! Thanks for sharing your story! It makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one loosing my mind occassionally! Good job for carrying her 3 miles! That had to hurt your back and you are so tiny!! Oh, I love the picture of your feet and flip flops! It is so cute!

Asia said...

So sorry about your bad day. What a work out to walk 3 miles with Macy. Hopefully you won't have another one of those days for a very long time.

Carlson Clan said...

What a terrible day! Why does all that stuff always have to happen in one lump? You must be superwoman to carry Macy for three miles!

Daina said...

Wow! What a day! I can't believe you walked that far carrying her! What a trooper.