Monday, June 1, 2009

I Want to Ride My Bicycle

Throughout my life, I've always had a love/hate relationship with bikes. As a kid, I loved 'em. Me and my brothers and sisters rode them constantly. They were our ticket to freedom and one of our main sources of entertainment, especially in the summer.

Then, around late junior high to high school time, I started hating bikes. Being one of the younger ones in my grade, I was one of the last to get my driver's license, and was forced to ride my bike on the occasion that I wasn't able to bum a ride off of one of my luckier, licensed friends. Even after getting my license, I didn't have a car, so I still had to make the occasional dash on my bike (with my hair stuffed under a baseball hat and with sunglasses on in hopes that no one would recognize me.) I remember on several occasions telling my mom that I would "rather die" than ride my bike to school, work, etc.

Now I'm back to liking bikes again. Maybe it's because the weather is nice, or maybe it's the fact that biking is a cheap, fun activity that Brett, Macy and I can all do together. Since I am now back to loving bikes, we decided to buy these babies...


We've wanted to buy another bike (Brett already has one) and bike trailer ever since last summer, but had to wait until we'd saved up enough cash. They have already proved to be well worth the investment. In the past two weeks, we've checked out a couple of trails, ridden to various parks for picnics and even rode to the grocery store to pick up a few odds and ends.

The only down side of riding a bike now is that it reminds me how ridiculously out of shape I am. How come I don't remember my thighs burning while riding my bike as a kid?

1 comment:

Tonya said...

TOTALLY agree with that thigh-burning comment. Wasn't it like, a piece of cake to ride circles in the neighborhood for hours when we were younger? Now it's like, down the block and I'm wiped out! :)