I'm not kidding. Unless you enjoy being rained on every single time you set out to enjoy the great outdoors. Brett and I have some serious bad luck when it comes to camping and the weather. We have been on several camping trips and have been rained on every. single. time. And I'm not just talking a little sprinkle here and there, I am talking about buckets and buckets of rain, sometimes for hours at a time. However, I wish rain was all we had to deal with on this trip...
It all started around 12:30pm on Friday. Brett and I decided that I would take Macy up to the campground while he was still at work so we could be sure to get a spot since it was Father's Day weekend and a fairly small site that didn't accept reservations. 15 miles of steep, bumpy mountainous terrain that could hardly be considered a road later, I come to a locked gate with a sign that says "Closed for Winter." Confused (and pretty angry) I call the Utah parks and recreation office and learn that the site we were planning on going to doesn't open until NEXT weekend. (Awesome...especially considering neither their website nor answering machine message gave any note of this.)
So Brett gets home, we mope around for awhile, then decide that a little site closure isn't going to hold us down and decide to head up to North Fork Campground (about an hour drive) and see if we can get a spot. Luckily, there are plenty of spots, so we get out, get everything set up and get ready to start a fire.
No matches.
Okay, no biggie. We drive back into town (only about a 10 minute drive), buy matches and try to start our fire again.
Still no fire. Due to the obscene amounts of water Utah has been getting lately, the fire pit, kindling and all other firewood is totally wet, making fire building virtually impossible.
We decide to go to bed. At least we'll get a good night's rest, right?
If only.
About 11:30pm, we awake to some very drunk and very raunchy fellow campers in the site next to us. I'll spare you the details, but let's just say it was the longest hour our lives (by some miracle, Macy slept through it all...lucky sucker.)
Then, this morning, we still couldn't get a fire started.
And Macy fell off the picnic table and got a lovely goose egg.
Then, it rained. And rained. And rained.
So, we decided to pack up and come home early. Even the Carters can only take so much. But even after all of it, we're already planning our next camping trip.
But don't worry...we won't make it awkward by extending any invitations.
4 comments:
oh gosh, what a trip! If nothing else, at least you got some good memories out of it, haha! Hope you have better luck on the next one.
Gotta love the rain eh?? I went to girls camp last week and it rained the entire time as well. I got pretty sick of the rain!! And of course the girls made me go tubing down the river with them, despite the rain and freezing weather. I've never been so cold in my life!!! Holy hypothermia!! Not even kidding. Anyway, sorry your camping trip sucked! Better luck with the next one eh?!
Sounds like our trip this past weekend only we didn't stay the whole night. We bummed out after getting dumped on for about an hour and it was only 7pm and our stuff was wet so we didn't even stay. What a trip you had though! I think you top us! Sorry it was so bad, but glad you have the motivation to plan another one!!
P.S. I hate the rain when I have to be out in it and get wet! I hate the feeling of being damp! I don't mind staying inside and cuddling in a huge blanket, but I don't like to go out in it at all! I wish it would go away so we could play outside instead of being cramped inside like all winter long!
Post a Comment