I've never really understood the tradition of saving the top of your wedding cake, freezing it, then eating it on your first anniversary. However, since it WAS tradition, after our reception, Brett and I froze ours and hid it away in my mom's freezer. Apparently, we hid it so well that we forgot about it on our first anniversary...and our second anniversary...and our third anniversary. So imagine our surprise when my mom shows up at our house on Sunday with the top of our wedding cake...complete with the (then fresh) flowers. SICK.

(To be fair to my mom, she didn't completely surprise us. She had asked us a few times to come and get our cake top out of her freezer, but we kept forgetting.)
Neither Brett nor myself are actually brave enough to try a piece of it, but I can't quite bring myself to throw it away yet. It stayed in my mom's freezer for over three years...maybe we'll see how long it will last in our fridge.

(To be fair to my mom, she didn't completely surprise us. She had asked us a few times to come and get our cake top out of her freezer, but we kept forgetting.)
Neither Brett nor myself are actually brave enough to try a piece of it, but I can't quite bring myself to throw it away yet. It stayed in my mom's freezer for over three years...maybe we'll see how long it will last in our fridge.
9 comments:
We ate our cake on our 1 year anniversary and it was actually quite good. I was very surprised because we didn't do much to keep it tightly covered or anything it was just in the original box and I don't think it was even closed completely. It did have a thick fondant coating which I think helped a ton. I can't believe how well your flowers were preserved. They looked like they were picked just a few days ago not a few years ago. Happy late anniversary!
Ha ha ha we tried that on our year anniversary and it was GROSS. So I don't recommend eating it after 3years. But you never know. Someday when you're like 80 your grandkids will pull it out of the back of the freezer. That would be funny.
Ha ha... thats funny! We ate a couple bites of ours on our first anniversary and it was DISCUSTING!! You should try it just to say you did! Especially after 3 yrs. Just do it! If anything else it will provide you with a good laugh! I triple dog dare you to try it.. he he!
We had cheesecake for our wedding cake and when I tried it 1 year later it was okay, but I only gave it two bites. Ty refused to try it altogether. I think you guys should try it just "cuz it's tradition!"
I'd just get a new cake, and try that one.
Or pudding.
Oh my goodness-- that is too funny! I don't think I could have broughten myself to eat the cake either..
I just have to say that I can't believe how good your cake looks after 3 years!! There's no way its been crammed in a freezer! I wouldn't wanna throw it away either! Hey its pretty cool that our anniversaries are just 4 days apart. August rocks! Hope you guys had a great anniversary! Love you guys!
Andrew and I just ate ours when we went home in July. That's right, FOUR years after our wedding! It had been in Grandma's freezer for that long. We had an excuse though, we live across the country from where it was stored. Every time we were home we forgot about it. It was not good!
love, Katie
At least yours got saved! Nadine took ours home and didn't know if we wanted to save it or not so instead of putting it in the freezer just in case, she left it out in the living room until we got home from our honeymoon. Then, one of the grandchildren took it upon herself to stick her fingers down in it as far as she could. So, needless to say, we just threw it away when we got back. I was so sad!
Post a Comment