This sign.
Is finally.
Finished.
And I love it.
But let's just talk about what an adventure making it was.
Found the idea on pintrest,
suckered my friend Julie into making the stencils for me,
coerced Brett to help me rip a pallet apart,
then spent approximately 3 hours painting it.
The next day,
grabbed a can of spray varnish to put a nice little clear
coat on my newly made masterpiece,
started to spray, and noticed that the stuff coming out of the can
looked a little more white than clear.
No worries, I figure.
This stuff must just go on white and dry clear.
I do a few more sprays across the sign,
noticing that the white is not drying clear at all.
I look down at the can and discover I am not, in fact, holding my spray varnish.
Nope.
It's white spray paint.
I panic,
try wiping it off,
sanding it off,
then dump half a bottle of citru-strip on it
in a last ditch effort to remove the white spray paint.
It was ruined.
So,
(after several hysterical fits)
I started over.
Begged Julie to make me another set of stencils,
went pallet hunting with the kids,
got Brett to rip yet another pallet apart,
and tried again.
All was well, until I removed the stencil
and realized that I had put the letter 'G' on
UPSIDE DOWN.
Something is wrong with my brain.
Luckily, it was a somewhat simple fix.
So, after some major sanding and some dirt from our garden,
the 'G' was repainted and the sign was finished.
And this time,
I let Brett handle the clear coat.

1 comment:
We must be related...I LOVE this sign, I have it pinned on Pinterest also. I am impressed that you actually made one. It looks like a lot of work. Good for you!
Post a Comment